Simulated Impaired DriviNg Experience
What is it?
SIDNE is a battery-powered go-cart that simulates the effects of impairment on driving skills.
Who’s it for?
SIDNE is available for demonstration at schools attended by students in grades eight and up, and for various safety events.
How do I request it for my event?
There is no charge associated with our programs; however, we do have a few limitations. Below is some general information for those interested in scheduling a demonstration:
· SIDNE requires a large area (approximately 150’ x 150’). This is because SIDNE requires a set course be laid out, which must have plenty of room for a safety zone and for spectators.
· SIDNE demonstrations can only be performed on hard surfaces such as asphalt or concrete - no grass or gravel. The demonstration area must be flat and dry.
· There must be a guaranteed audience of at least 50 people for each demonstration. (Exceptions to this may be made for smaller groups in the immediate Jackson area or demonstrations during the less busy summer or winter months.)
· Participants must be at least 4’ 9” tall and weigh at least 80 pounds.
· Demonstrations can be done outdoors or indoors; however, if the event is scheduled for an outdoor location, it will be cancelled and/or rescheduled due to rain if no alternate indoor location is available.
· It takes approximately 2-3 minutes for each participant to complete their ride in SIDNE. Total time necessary for demonstration will depend on how many permitted participants are present at the event.
· A release of liability form is required for each participant before he or she may ride in SIDNE. (If the participant is younger than 18, this form requires a parent or guardian’s signature.) You may download the release form here: SIDNE Consent Form. Participants may have the forms completed in advance; however, the form must accompany the participant at the time of the demonstration and be handed to the MDOT safety representative before he or she is allowed to enter the simulator.
· It is recommended that SIDNE demonstrations be scheduled at least one month in advance, however, certain times of the year are extremely popular and available dates can go quickly. So, the earlier you call, the better.