Rover, the Rollover Simulator
What is it?
Rover, the rollover simulator, is a truck cab that spins on its own axis at 35 MPH to simulate a rollover crash. Cloth dummies (the Buckle Family – Burt, Simon, and Baby Bob) are placed inside the simulator and are used to illustrate the effects of a rollover crash on unrestrained occupants.
Still wondering what it is and what it does? Check out the video!
Whos’ it for?
Rover is available for demonstration at schools attended by students in grades kindergarten and up, and for various safety events.
How do I request it for my event?
There is no charge associated with our programs; however, we do have a few limitations. Below is some general information for those interested in scheduling a demonstration:
· Rover must be placed within 100 feet of an electrical source (outlet or heavy-duty generator capable of handling at least 16 amps). The simulator will not work properly if the power source is farther away than 100 feet.
· Rover requires an area of approximately 60 x 20 feet, plus additional space for spectators.
· There must be a guaranteed, stationary audience of at least 100 people for each demonstration. (Exceptions to this may be made for smaller groups in the immediate Jackson area or demonstrations during the less busy summer or winter months.)
· Demonstrations last approximately 15 to 20 minutes each. It takes approximately 10 minutes to set up Rover before and between demonstrations. Up to 3 demonstrations can be done per event, preferably with the demonstration scheduled about 30 minutes apart.
· Demonstrations can be done outdoors or indoors; however, if the event is scheduled for an outdoor location, it will be cancelled and/or rescheduled due to rain or wet ground conditions if no alternate indoor location is available. If considering an indoor location, please keep in mind that the simulator and tow vehicle combined is roughly 9’ tall, 8’ wide, and 50’ long.
· Demonstrations can be done for large groups (more than 200 people) in a setting such as a football field or multi-purpose arena. Smaller groups can be accommodated on a level surface such as a parking lot, field, etc.
· Rover has a self-contained PA and speaker system. There is also an available video system included within Rover for showing safety videos and safety PSA’s. If you wish to schedule a video presentation along with the Rover demonstration, please specify this at the time of your request.
· It is recommended that Rover demonstrations be scheduled at least one month in advance. However, certain times of the year are extremely popular and available dates can go quickly. So, the earlier you call, the better.